Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Gratitude

One of my very best friends, Jennifer recently posted about a song by Nichole Nordeman called Gratitude. I was very familiar with the song, or I thought I was. She said in her post that she had just recently really "gotten" the song. After listening to it a few times in the last few days, I too am starting to "get it". God has given me so much and blessed me and my life so much. And, even in the times when I pray for something, just because God doesn't grant the exact request, I still need to give thanks with gratitude. I am now praying that I look for things in my life to be thankful for--even the small things.


Last Sunday we had a man preach at our church who preached from the Gospel of Luke about the Pharisee and the publican (tax collector) who both went to the same temple to pray. The Pharisee who came to the temple, thanking God that he was not like other men then continued to tell of the "things" he did, the traditions he followed, the customs he upheld, etc. Then there was the tax collector who came and knew very little about the "laws" and traditions, just about what the gospel said about him--that he was a sinner. He then says "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!". The Pharisee was measuring himself against other men while the publican measured himself against God--seeing his own unholiness in contrast to a Righteous, Holy God. Anyway, in this message the man who spoke made the point that as Christians, we need to worry about pleasing only one Person--God. We are to "perform" for an audience of One. I have thought about that message and prayed all week that God would help me to love Him with all my heart, soul and mind, seeking Him in all I do and say. If I am doing this, it doesn't matter what man thinks about me.



I know that by now you are asking "What does that have to do with Gratitude?" Well, I have let people, situations, criticisms and such blind me to the many, many blessings in my life. I've spent too much time feeling sorry for myself and being angry. I want to be a person who sees the many things that God has given me and the grace and mercy He shows me each and every day. I want to be as the publican and see my need for God in my life--to learn to lean fully on His unending love.


Just a side note--the message Sunday was the best message I've heard at our church since our former (my favorite) pastor left in February. Thank You God for godly men who see that our purpose to this life is to glorify You.


Here's a picture of seven (and 1/2) of the most wonderful blessings God has given me

No comments: